Are you planning a family vacation to Phu Quoc with kids? You’ve come to the right place! Here, we cover some of the best things to do and tips for a fun-filled family holiday in Phu Quoc, Vietnam.
We spent almost three months touring Vietnam with our kids and Phu Quoc was one of our favorite beach destinations. From the warm aqua-blue colored waters to the lush forests and stunning beaches, there’s plenty for young and old alike to explore in this unique corner of Vietnam.
Where is Phu Quoc?
Phu Quoc (pronounced Fu-Kwok) is a triangle-shaped island with 21 islets located in the Gulf of Thailand in southern Vietnam. Strangely, it’s only about 9 miles off the coast of Cambodia and is actually closer to Cambodia than it is to the Vietnamese mainland.
But, after a long history of trying to find its identity Phu Quoc island is very much a part of Vietnam with a predominantly Vietnamese population. The island is about 50 kilometers (31 miles) long and 25 kilometers (15.5 miles) wide and offers a wonderful mix of beaches, fishing villages, rainforest-clad mountains, temples, and more.
Is Phu Quoc Worth Visiting?
If your idea of a fun family vacation involves tropical white sand beaches, rich culture, water activities, and great food then one hundred percent!
Relatively unknown this unique island of Phu Quoc has become more popular in recent years, and for good reason. This island paradise is a great destination for families looking to relax and experience the one-of-a-kind culture that Phu Quoc has to offer. From exploring waterfalls to waterparks and hiking through forests and lounging on beaches, there are plenty of opportunities to get out and discover something new with your family.
Phu Quoc With Kids
We’ve traveled all over Vietnam and Southeast Asia for that matter with our four kids in tow. Phu Quoc island is a perfect destination for a family holiday and here is why.
First, the island is loaded with resort accommodations for every budget. They all pretty much have great pools-which we know are a hit with the kids! Most will also include breakfast with your stay and some even offer all-inclusive options that include all of your food during your stay. This takes away a lot of the time-consuming decision-making, transportation snags, and overall added stress of figuring out meals for the family.
Second, Phu Quoc is full of things to do for kids of all ages. Whether it’s splashing in the warm ocean waters, snorkeling the colorful coral reefs and other marine life, or exploring one of Asia’s top-rated waterparks, there’s something for everyone.
Let’s take a deeper dive into the Phu Quoc island attractions for kids!
Best Things To Do in Phu Quoc With Kids
Phu Quoc is a well-known island paradise in Vietnam but a current shift to attract a broader market in the tourism industry (for better or for worse) has billions of investment dollars pouring in for new development and attractions-many of those being geared toward kids and families.
Here are our top 13 Things to do in Phu Quoc with kids:
1. Relax and Play at Phu Quoc’s Beaches
Beaches For Kids in Phu Quoc
Phu Quoc is known for its beautiful white sand beach with calm waters that are perfect for kids. There are so many and you’ll hear varying opinions but some of the best beaches in our opinion are Long Beach, Sao Beach, Ong Lang Beach, and Starfish Beach.
- Sao Beach (Bai Sao): This stunning beach with soft white sand is located on the southeastern side of Phu Quoc Island and offers plenty of opportunities for relaxation and exploration. The calm waters make it ideal for swimming, snorkeling, or just playing in the sand with your kids. There are some shade and palm tree swings!
- Long Beach (Bai Truong): Located on the southwest coast is one of the most popular beaches on Phu Quoc island. Stretching some 12 miles Long Beach is easily accessible and home to many resorts, restaurants, and watersports activities. The beach is solid but what makes it family-friendly is all of the opportunities and amenities available. However, because of the easy access and commercial activity, it can get quite busy.
- Starfish Beach: Off the beaten path on the far north side of the island is Starfish Beach. It is a little tricky to get to and the road is rough but if you’re lucky you may see thousands of red sea stars. The warm shallow waters make it an ideal swimming and snorkeling destination for kids-even the toddlers.
- Ong Lang Beach: A stunning beach located on the west side and one of the best spots for families with kids. With its shallow waters, white sand beaches, and rock formations, it’s perfect for an afternoon spent playing in the sand or swimming in crystal clear waters. The beach also offers some great restaurants where you can enjoy traditional Vietnamese dishes while admiring views of the sea. And if you’re still there in the evening stick around for the views of some of the most breath-taking sunsets.
With plenty of fun activities such as swimming, snorkeling, sandcastle building, and exploring tidepools your family is sure to have a great time at any of these kid-friendly beaches!
2. Ride the Phu Quoc Cable Car (Hon Thom)
The Phu Quoc Cable Car also known as Hon Thom Cable Car boasts the longest nonstop 3-way cable car route in the world according to the Guinness Book of World Records.
You board the cable car at Hon Thom Terminal. The trip is almost 5 miles and will take about 15 minutes ending at Hon Thom island “Pineapple Island.”
The ride is super smooth and offers a 360-degree view of the archipelago which is incredible. You can also bundle the cable car ticket with the Aquatopia Waterpark pass for some savings.
3. Learn at the Phu Quoc Prison (Coconut Tree Prison)
The Phu Quoc Prison also known as the Coconut Tree Prison is a must-see for any family exploring the island. The prison was built during the French-Indochina war and served as a detention center for Vietnamese soldiers during the Vietnam War.
The tour is a great way to learn more about the history of Vietnam while giving kids an insight into what life was like in former times. The guides are very knowledgeable and the tour is educational yet entertaining.
4. Snorkel With the Active Marine Life of Phu Quoc
The snorkeling options in Phu Quoc are endless and the marine life is plentiful. You can take a boat tour to go snorkeling at nearby islands or stick closer to the shore where you’ll find some of the most vibrant coral reefs, colorful fish, and turtles.
But if you want something unique head out on a boat tour with Onbird which offers a unique opportunity to explore the ocean with professional and knowledgeable tour guides.
The Onbird team will take you on an underwater exploration complete with gear and flotation devices so even kids as young as 5 can enjoy snorkeling in comfort. See what amazing creatures live beneath the surface of the sea!
5. Visit the Dinh Cậu Temple
To add a touch of culture to your family trip, don’t miss the quaint temple complex of the Dinh Cậu Pagoda. The temple was built in the 18th century and is one of the most visited religious sites on Phu Quoc.
The complex includes several temples, statues, and interesting artifacts that are sure to enthrall your kids. The staff is also very friendly and helpful so don’t be afraid to ask any questions. Make it a meaningful experience and learn more about Buddhism while admiring the beautiful architecture of this incredible temple complex.
6. Visit Suoi Tranh Waterfall
The Suoi Tranh Waterfall is a must-see for all waterfall chasers! Located at the foot of Dai Lanh Hill, this waterfall consists of three main streams and is surrounded by lush tropical vegetation.
Take a short hike to get to the falls and then enjoy swimming, fishing, or just admiring the stunning views from afar. You can even rent an inner tube for some extra fun!
This destination is great for kids as there is plenty of shallow water, perfect for paddling and playing around. The scenery here is beautiful and will create lasting memories for the whole family.
7. Visit Phu Quoc National Park
A great spot for families with kids, the national park covers about half of the island and offers plenty of opportunities for exploration. You can hike the trails or take part in an educational tour and learn more about the local flora and fauna.
The park is also home to a variety of wildlife such as birds, monkeys, reptiles, and amphibians. Kids will love exploring this beautiful natural landscape.
8. Visit Aquatopia Water Park
Aquatopia Water Park opened in December 2019 and is considered to be one of the most modern waterparks in Asia. With over 20 slide attractions a wave pool and a lazy river, the park offers plenty of wet and wild fun for kids.
Aquatopia is the main attraction on Hon Thom island and is conveniently located at the end of the Phu Quoc cable car endpoint. There are plenty of food options available at the water park tailored for kids including pizza, burgers, chicken strips, and french fries.
9. Explore Duong Dong Town
Duong Dong Town is the main town of Phu Quoc and a great place for families to explore. Take a leisurely stroll around the market and admire the local shops selling souvenirs, handicrafts and delicacies.
Your kids will love visiting the night market (Dinh Cau) where you can find plenty of delicious street food. The town also offers some great sightseeing opportunities such as a visit to the ancient Cau Temple or Ngoc Hien church.
10. Wonder at Starfish Beach
One of the most popular beaches on Phu Quoc Island is Starfish Beach. This beach is best known for its abundance of starfish and kids will love exploring the sand looking for these amazing creatures.
Starfish Beach also has plenty of shallow waters that are perfect for wading or swimming. It is a great spot to picnic, build sandcastles and watch beautiful sunsets. Make sure you bring your camera to capture these special family moments.
11. Visit the Fish Sauce Factory
Located just outside of Duong Dong Town, the fish sauce factory is an interesting stop for families with kids. Fish sauce is the number one export of Phu Quoc and is used in many Vietnamese dishes. Here at the factory, you’ll learn all about the traditional process of making fish sauce and get to sample some delicious sauces.
Your kids will love seeing the giant barrels of fish sauce being produced and trying out all the different flavors. You can even purchase some to bring home as a souvenir!
12. Visit An Thoi Islands
The An Thoi Islands are a great destination for families with kids looking to explore some of the most beautiful islands in Vietnam. Here you can snorkel, swim in crystal clear waters, and relax on the beach.
Kids will love exploring the islands by boat and spotting the various birds, reptiles, and marine life that call this place home. There are plenty of activities to choose from such as kayaking, fishing or island hopping. You can even enjoy a nice picnic on one of the many beaches here.
13. Go to Phu Quoc Night Market (Dinh Cau)
The Dinh Cau night market offers a unique cultural experience for families with kids. Here you’ll find street performers, souvenirs and an array of food stalls with vendors offering everything from fresh seafood to traditional Vietnamese dishes. If you like ice-cold treats don’t forget to try the roll-up ice cream, the perfect way for the family to cool down in the Vietnamese heat!
The night market takes place every evening near the center of Duon Dong town and is a great spot to pick up unique souvenirs such as handmade crafts and clothes. Kids will love walking around the diverse stalls in this vibrant atmosphere.
Where to Stay in Phu Quoc With Kids
As mentioned previously Phu Quoc offers plenty of accommodation options for families with kids. From luxury resorts to private villas and budget-friendly hotels, there’s something for every budget. For a hassle-free stay, check out the kid-friendly all-inclusive resorts which provide opulent rooms, activities for the entire family, and plenty of dining options.
Here are some of the best places to stay in Phu Quoc with kids.
- JW Marriot Phu Quoc Emerald Bay: A luxurious (understatement) 5-star resort with a kid-friendly beach, pool, and playground. This is the ultimate high-end with a unique history and impeccable architecture and style.
- Salinda Resort Phu Quoc: Another luxurious 5-star resort with an infinity pool overlooking a golden beach with sunset views. Spa treatments, a kid’s club and a playground are highlights for family travelers.
- Novotel Phu Quoc Resort: A modern 5-star resort with beach activities, kids pool, playground and plenty of dining options.
- Sofitel Phu Quoc Resort & Spa: An upscale 5-star resort with a kids club, pool and beach activities. The hotel also offers cultural shows, cooking classes and more to entertain the entire family.
- Melia Vin Pearl Phu Quoc: A family-friendly 4-star resort with a kid’s club and plenty of activities for parents and kids.
- The Shells Resort & Spa: This family-friendly resort offers spacious rooms, 2 swimming pools, and plenty of activities for adults and kids alike.
- Pullman Resort Phu Quoc: A great option for families on a budget, the Pullman Resort offers comfortable rooms with private pools and plenty of activities for the whole family.
- Mango Bay Resort: An eco-friendly resort, Mango Bay is perfect for families who want to experience nature up close.
- The Royal Villas Phu Quoc: For families looking for a more exclusive experience, The Royal Villas offer private villas with their own private pools and an array of amenities.
- Sheraton Phu Quoc Long Beach Resort: This 5-star resort is perfect for families who want to experience an all-inclusive With its own private beach, an array of activities, and dining options, this is the perfect base for your family holiday.
How to Get to Phu Quoc
There are several options available to get to Phu Quoc, depending on where you are coming from.
If you are coming from Vietnam, you can fly directly to Phu Quoc International Airport (PQC) from Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City. Other international flights arrive from Seoul and Siem Reap. Alternatively, you can even take a ferry from Rach Gia or Ha Tien on the mainland.
If you are coming from overseas, direct flights to Phu Quoc arrive from Bangkok, Singapore, and Kuala Lumpur.
Do I Need a Visa for Phu Quoc Island?
If you are traveling to mainland Vietnam you are probably already aware that you will need a visa to enter. But, Phu Quoc operates a little differently.
Recently the island has been designated as a “special economic zone.” This means that if you hold a passport from another country and meet certain requirements then you are eligible to receive a 30-day visa exemption.
This exemption is only good for Phu Quoc and not for other areas in Vietnam and is only valid for 30 days maximum. Always check the most current entry requirements when traveling since the situation is still fluid.
Best Way to Get Around Phu Quoc With Kids
Once you arrive in Phu Quoc there are several options to get around with kids.
Renting a car or scooter is always an option and the roads are generally well-maintained.
Taxis, or Grab (Asia’s version of Uber) with car seat options and reliable drivers, are also available if you prefer not to drive. We chose the Grab option while we were there and had no problems getting around.
Alternatively, many resorts offer shuttle services so you can travel in style while taking advantage of the complimentary transport.
Finally, there are plenty of tour operators who offer guided tours for families. These can range from day trips to more in-depth excursions and will cover the highlights of the island.
Wrapping Up: Phu Quoc With Kids
Phu Quoc is the perfect destination for a family vacation. With plenty of lodging options from 5-star resorts to homestays and plenty of activities and convenient transportation options, there’s something for everyone in this tropical paradise. Whether you want to spend your days lounging by the pool or exploring all that Phu Quoc has to offer, it’s sure to be an unforgettable trip that will create unique memories for years to come.